Friday, May 27, 2005

the incident that taught me humility

Many years ago, when I was still in secondary school, I always spend my school holidays at my dad's little factory, in a industrial building.

One day, I took the lift with the cleaner uncle who walked with a limp. I smiled at him, as my dad always did and followed with some small talk. The cleaner uncle smiled back and told me, in hokkien, words that I will never forget:

"Your dad is a nice and good man, he always chat with me whenever he sees me around. A man that does not look down on people like me are hard to find, somemore he is a boss who owns his own factory and business."

My father is not a rich man, in fact, we are just able to get by, most of the time. He is just a small and tiny shoe manufacturer relying extensively on manual labour. A dying trade in Singapore.

The proud man counts his newspaper clippings, the humble man his blessings.
Fulton J. Sheen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home