Tuesday, May 17, 2005

the 3rd time I worn the No. 1

Mr. Miyagi post on Starry Night has unfortunately brought back old memories of mine.

8 years ago, 2 soldiers were burned to death instantly, due to an artillery round exploded in the gun chamber, in a faraway land.

We were split into 3 batches for a live firing exercise, the first time in that faraway land.

My team operated the gun as the first batch and left the country before the 2nd batch arrived.


He took over the gun that I had just used.

A round exploded in the chamber during the 2nd day of his exercise.

He never stands a chance.

I was there to receive his body when it was flown back.

I was one of the pallbearers at his funeral.

His mother slept beside his coffin every night during the wake.

I witnessed his mother crying her heart out while his father and younger sister fought to hold back their tears despite their sorrows.

I started to cry after seeing his mother running towards the burial hole, trying to jump in as they lowered his coffin in, wishing to be buried together with her beloved son.

He never chao-geng.

He carried out his duties & responsibilities diligently.

He was the most helpful guy I had ever known.


He likes to drink coke.

He is the reason I believed that there are christian who practice what the bible preached.

He never complained about the army.

He was the best trainee.


He was the soldier you will want to fight alongside with.

He would be ORDing in 3 months time.

He had a place in NUS reserved for him.

I would be standing in the same position as he was, if I were in the 2nd batch instead. I only thought of it after a few weeks had passed. But I never ever once thought that I was luckier than him.

All I know is that it should not had happened to him.

RIP, my dear friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home